Learn About Our Robotics Camps
With weather like we are having these past 2 weeks we’re all anxious for Summer!
We are actively planning our Summer STEM Camp program and will be releasing our schedule and program offerings in the next few weeks.
At Envision Robotics, we focus on providing summer camps that engage kids in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) activities using robotics, coding, and other advanced technologies to help spark and fuel an interest in these subjects.
Similar to our regular curriculum, our programs are all hands-on, which Scholastic refers to as “Busy Hands, Busy Brains”, and are challenge/project based to ensure there is an outcome where the kids experience a sense of accomplishment and achievement.
Our programs stimulate their imagination and foster wonderment by having the children assume the role of scientist, robot engineer, or even “backyard engineers” as they complete their tasks. In the end, our camps are memorable, fun, and filled with learning opportunities.
Here are a few additional things to know about our Summer Camps
- Open to kids 6 – 12 yrs split into two age segments
- 6 – 8 yrs old and 9 – 12 yrs old
- Girls represent ~ 50% of enrollment
- Maximum of 8 students per age segment
- Camps are held at our spacious (1,500 sq ft) studio where we have a large lobby, 2 teaching rooms, and a clean bathroom
- For added safety we have security camera in the lobby and teaching rooms
- Entry ways and halls are wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair, if required
- We are located in Thornhill but close enough to attract kids from neighbouring regions of Markham, Richmond Hill, and North York (we actually have many kids from Vaughan and downtown Toronto!)
- Similar to our STEM camps last summer, we will be offering robotics and coding again this year
- Children will work on either Lego WeDo 2.0 or Lego Mindstorms EV3, depending on their age
- Further, students will participate in a variety of fun games and activities and use other robots that include Wonder Workshop’s Dash & Cue, Sphero SPRK+, and as well as VEX IQ
- Few if any camps offer kids the ability to work with so many robots!
- During the camp day, kids will build and program their robots for approximately 3 ½ hours per day, spread out over 3 periods
- Programming is accomplished using a visual, graphical interface where students construct their program by dragging, dropping, and configuring function blocks to achieve a desired result
- Over the course of the program, we teach kids programming basics and the proper way to construct a program
- One of the exciting additions to our 2019 summer camp program is the addition of 3D Design & 3D Printing
- 3D Printing is rapidly transforming development of new products and is a key skill in demand
- We’re excited about the possibilities that it offers our kids and have designed a program that will appeal to children between 9 – 12 yrs and who have never had any previous design or 3D printing experience
- Over the course of a week students will create 3D designs using Tinkercad, which is a notable CAD (Computer Aided Design) program
- Students will learn how to augment existing 3D designs as well as create their own
- Of course, every students wants to show off their work so students will be able to take their 3D printed creations home, printed on our Flashforge printers
- To keep kids engaged and energized throughout the day we have a variety of activities planned
- At Breaks we stream dance music on the lobby TVs and the kids dance…and yes even the boys get into it!
- When the weather is nice, we go to Bishops Cross Park, which is adjacent to our studio, to eat lunch and play outside for at least an hour
- Students play on the playground equipment and we bring soccer balls too to play in the field
- Our STEM summer camps attract like-minded kids that enjoy the intellectual challenge of robotics and coding as well as excitement of building new friendships
- Summer Camps start promptly at 9 am and run to 4 pm
- Extended Care starting at 8 am and ending at 5 pm is available as an paid option
- Our instructors are enrolled in 3rd year and above programs that include mechanical engineering, computer engineering, or electrical engineering
- Further, each has been selected for their interest in robotics, coding, drones, 3D printing and more
- Most have help robotics club positions in their local high-schools and been in winning positions
- All have recent Vulnerable Sector Checks (VSCs)
Benefits To Your Child
Over the course of the week long summer camp your child will experience a number of benefits from our program.
- New friendships with like-minded children
- Development of new STEM skills and knowledge
- Fun-filled days building with Lego robots which all children enjoy!
- Participation in a variety of group activities
- Outdoor fun and exercise at the park each day
- Increased confidence using a number of robot platforms and home automation devices
Envision Robotics Summer Camp programs will be launched shortly so stay tuned for the excitement to come and book early as the best weeks fill up quickly.